Our tooth is exposed to various forms of unknown risk throughout our life.
This includes an array of microbes in our mouth, the diet we follow, our lifestyle, our practices, oral hygiene habits.
With consideration to all these potential risk factors here are some tips to strengthen your teeth:
- Brush your properly twice a day.
- Follow the appropriate brushing technique.
- Use other aids like dental flossing and tongue cleaning daily.
- Use mouthwashes after brushing your teeth.
- Use a fluoride-containing toothpaste or as recommended by your dentist.
- Practice rinsing of your mouth with water thoroughly after every meal/snack/drink.
- Follow a balanced diet.
- Maintain a diet rich in calcium and vitamins.
- Reduce the consumption of sugar or associated products.
- Consume fresh fruit juices without sugars.
- Stay hydrated.
- Use a sugar-free chewing gum to promote increased saliva flow.
- Consume dairy products without sugars or sweeteners.
- Consume probiotics that help in replacing the oral flora with good microorganisms.
- Reduce starchy food consumption.
Proper brushing with the use of other oral hygiene aids helps in removing 99% of the plaque adhering to the teeth. Thus it reduces the chances of the microbial activity.
The use of fluoride toothpaste helps in the restoration of the lost minerals and strengthening the teeth to protect them against cavities.
A balanced diet with an adequate amount of the nutrients that are necessary for the particular age has to be taken into the note to replenish the lost nutrients with diet or supplements.
With age calcium & vitamin supplements are necessary for the strength of the bones and teeth.
Any food with sugar content might lose their nutrient value. Hence with age reduction in starchy foods, sweets or sticky food plays a vital role in strengthening your teeth.
As consumption of these food leads to the microbial activity and production of acids to dissolve the teeth.
A dry mouth paves way for various microbial activity and change in the environment. Try to stay hydrated always and use sugar-free chewing gums that help in promoting the saliva flow.