Contact dermatitis or eczema is a red, itchy skin rash caused by contact with certain substances like soap, jewellery, fragrances etc. or an allergic reaction. Further, the substance can irritate the skin or can cause an allergic reaction. It develops a red, itchy rash that is not contagious.
Symptoms can occur to the substance-exposed part of the skin.
- Dry, cracked skin
- Red rash
The substance known as irritants can cause an allergic reaction to the exposed part of the skin. Also, sometimes single exposure can develop rashes.
Irritants can include,
- Rubbing alcohol
- Pesticides etc.
Sometimes allergens can cause the reaction. Further, these allergens include,
- Certain medicines
- Body washes
- Certain plants
- Harmful sun rays etc.
Children can develop allergic reactions due to some products like diapers, baby wipes, etc.
Risk factors of contact dermatitis:
Firstly, some jobs can put you at a higher risk of getting this condition. Further, these are as follows,
- Auto mechanics
- Health care employees
- Metal workers
- Agricultural workers
- Cooks etc.
This condition develops an increased allergic reaction when you scratch the allergic parts repeatedly and can have a higher chance of growing bacteria and fungus.
Preventing contact dermatitis:
Prevention steps are as follows-
- Wash the skin properly- wash your skin when you come in the contact with irritants or allergens.
- Avoid irritants and allergens. Further, avoid allergy causing irritants and allergens.
- Use moisturizer. Also, you can use moisturizer to develop the outermost layer of the skin moist.
- Also, take care of pets.
- Moreover, wear protective clothes or gloves. Also, you can wear protective clothes, gloves, goggles to avoid direct exposure of allergens or irritants.
A doctor can diagnosis contact dermatitis by asking certain questions to the patient. Also, the doctor can observe the itching part of the skin and diagnosis contact dermatitis. Further, the doctor can do the patch test to diagnose contact dermatitis.
Treatment of contact dermatitis:
- Firstly, ointments- Doctor can suggest to use ointment to reduce allergy.
- Secondly, oral medications- Sometimes doctor suggest to use the oral medications.