On normal days women need to take approximately 2000 calories per day but during the pregnancy period, they need 2800 calories per day. In the first three months of pregnancy, the fetus’s entire organs will begin to grow. So, it is very essential to take nutritious food during this period. The essential nutrients needed for the growth of a fetus are Protein, Iron, Calcium, Folic acid, Vitamin B12. In this article, we are going to see the foods with these essential nutrients.
PROTEIN RICH FOOD
- In non-vegetarian food, Egg white contains 100% pure protein. In addition, it also contains good cholesterol, folic acid, vitamin D and calcium is also present in small quantity which is very beneficial for fetal growth.
- Chicken i.e. Breast chicken and mutton also consists of good value of protein in it.
- In the vegetarian food Panner, Mushroom, Soya beans, Dhals, Green pea, and Black peas contain a high quantity of protein in it.
IRON RICH FOOD
- During pregnancy, the ladies will suffer due to Anemia. To prevent it they need a proper iron quantity that helps to produce RBC in our body and improves blood flow in the fetus.
- In non-vegetarian food Chicken, Mutton, and Beef Liver contains a high amount of iron. Pregnant ladies can take 50 to 100 grams of the liver for 3 days a week. It also contains Protein, Folic acid, and Vitamin B12.
- In vegetarian foods, Greens have a high amount of iron in it. Especially, Drumstick tree leaves (Murungai keerai) accommodate a high dose of Iron. Besides, it has Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Phosphorus, and fiber in it. it helps in the production of hemoglobulin and improves our digestion.
CALCIUM RICH FOOD
- Calcium helps in the growth of the fetus’s bone. 90% of fetal bone growth will occur in the first 3 months of pregnancy. A glass of Milk contains 300 mg of calcium in it. So, the pregnant mother should take 1 to 2 cups of milk per day.
- In nonvegetarian food, Fish contains a high dose of Calcium. Besides it also contains Omega 3 fatty acid, protein, Vitamin D, and Vitamin B12 in it.
- In the vegetarian food, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, and Ladies’ finger contain a good amount of Calcium in it.
OTHER NUTRITIOUS FOODS
- Daily 3 to 4 liters of water should be taken by pregnant ladies to avoid dehydration.
- Carrot and beetroot is rich in Vitamin A that helps in the eye growth in the fetus
- Pomegranate helps in the production of RBC and also acts as a blood purifier. It can be eaten raw or by preparing juice.
- Citrus fruits such as Orange, lemon, Sathukudi contains a high dose of Vitamin C that helps in improves the immunity in the fetus.