Ginger is a common ingredient in most Indian cuisines. India is the biggest producer of ginger. Also, ginger has a unique place in Ayurvedha and Siddha medicines. Further, certain bioactive compounds found in ginger such as gingerol, and oleoresin are responsible for the characteristic aroma and therapeutic properties. Components of gingerol include Zingiberone, bisabolene, camphene, geranial, linalool and borneol.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF GINGER:
- A Chemical compound present in ginger helps to prevent the infections caused by germs. It also inhibits the growth of bacteria such as E.coli and Shigella. Similarly, it helps us to stay away from certain viruses.
- It is used as a homemade remedy for treating cold, cough and throat infections.
- Gingers contain antibacterial activity that helps to kill oral bacteria. These oral bacteria are responsible for cavities and some serious gum infections.
- It enhances the digestion process and also helps in breaking down intestinal gas. It also helps in handling the feeling of nausea.
- Gingers help in reducing muscle pain during exercise. Studies have shown that people with muscle pain due to exercise who take ginger had less pain than the people who didn’t take it.
- It helps in curing headaches and menstrual pain. In addition, it helps in treating teeth pain by stacking it in the spot of pain.
- It has anti-inflammatory property that helps in treating rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. This can be taken by mouth or by patching it on your skin.
- Gingers also have anti-cancer properties. Bioactive compounds present in it helps in reducing the risk of colorectal, ovarian, skin, breast, gastric, liver and prostate cancer.
- It also helps in the production of insulin and help to improve blood sugar level further studies or needed to confirm this.
- It can also reduce LDL cholesterol. 5 grams of ginger for 3 months can be effective in lowering this LDL cholesterol.
- It has plenty of antioxidants that help in preventing stress and cell death. Similarly, it helps the body to fight against chronic diseases such as High blood pressure levels, heart and lung diseases.
BENEFITS OF GINGER EXTRACT:
- Use gingers after peeling off the outer skin. Take ginger extract and mix it with hot water and drink it daily in the morning on an empty stomach to reduce obesity.
- Drinking ginger tea or ginger juice cures anorexia and improves digestion and constipation.
- Grind the gingers and put it in a bowl for a while and then take only the top clear water and add a little basil juice in it and drink it for a week to cure flatulence.
- Ginger juice and honey have numerous benefits for our bodies. These are helpful in treating the bile related issues, cleansing the blood, cleansing the digestive tract, increasing its activity and prolonging life in the body.
- We can eat it daily to rejuvenate the liver, which corrects nausea and dizziness.
- Diabetic patients can consume it daily that can regulate their blood sugar level. Similarly, the frequent addition of gingers in some form enhances immunity and prevents any disease from entering the body.
- Drinking ginger juice does not cause heart disease, normalize blood flow and reduces pain in the body.
COMMERCIAL FORMS AND THEIR USES:
- Ginger candys are widely available in the market. These have a slightly sweet taste because of the sugar present in it.
- Ginger tea is an amazing stress buster for most youngsters.
- It is also present in sugarcane juice to enhance the flavour of the juice.
- Ginger oil is useful in cooking and sometimes applied to the skin to reduce pain.
- It is used in food and beverages as a flavouring agent.
- Its fragrance is used in certain cosmetic products and soaps.
- Food products such as ginger-garlic paste, bread, cookies and candies are available in the market.
- It is also useful in the preparation of certain medicines.
PRESERVING AND STORING GINGER:
- Always store it by wrapping it in paper so that no air enters the pack then put it in the freezer of the fridge. Using this method we can store it for up to 3 weeks.
- After removing its skin it can be stored in acidic solutions such as vinegar and lemon extract. But this can alter its taste.
- We can grind it as a paste and store it in the fridge for long period without change in its taste.
To sum up, ginger has plenty of medicinal properties that aid our good health. So, try to add ginger to your diet.