The period after the removal of the teeth until the healing of the tooth socket is very crucial. One has to definitely follow the instructions given by your dentist for fast healing without any infections. Here is a brief set of instructions to be followed after traditional tooth removal.
INSTRUCTION AFTER A TRADITIONAL TOOTH REMOVAL:
- Dentist packs the tooth socket with gauze which is to be held in a place especially, for 30 minutes after removal of the tooth.
- Once the bleeding is stopped the gauze is taken.
- Avoid spitting or gargling for 24 hours after the tooth removal.
- Don’t pick the site of tooth removal with any objects or tongue.
- Avoid hot and spicy foods for 2 to 3 days.
- Have a warm and soft diet for 2 to 3 days.
- Complete the course of antibiotic medications prescribed to you.
- Drink liquids in slow sips without a straw.
- While brushing do not meddle with the extraction site.
- Don’t consume carbonated drinks.
- Do not smoke or consume alcohol.
- Rinse your mouth with warm saline gently after 24 hours of tooth removal.
- Visit your dentist after a week of tooth removal for a review.
INSTRUCTIONS AFTER A SURGICAL TOOTH REMOVAL:
It involves the cutting of bone to remove the affected teeth. Following surgical removal of teeth, sutures are placed. They may present with mild post-operative swelling and temporary reduction in mouth opening.
Most of the instructions are same with a few added below for precautions:
- After the surgical removal of the teeth, the application of a cold pack on the face near the extraction site for 10-20 minutes with intervals.
- Moreover, the cold pack application is given only for the day and stopped after 24 hours of the removal.
- Must not lie on the side of extraction while sleeping.
- Do not meddle with the sutures.
- Follow the complete course of medication prescribed.
- Do not restrict the opening of the mouth.
- Maintain good oral hygiene.
- Visit your dentist after a week for a review and suture removal.
POINTS TO NOTE:
Report to your dentist if you face any of the following sign: