Taking care of braces during the treatment phase aids in faster progress of the treatment. The task of taking care solely depends on the person under treatment.
For kids, parents must monitor their oral hygiene practice, diet, and other habits to avoid any interruption during the treatment period.
Tips to take care of your Braces:
- Brush twice a day with care using a special toothbrush with V-shaped bristles to clean the food stuck to the braces.
- Subsequently, use an interdental toothbrush to brush in between the teeth and the metal wires.
- Additionally, floss your teeth at least once daily to remove any debris stuck in-between your teeth.
- Use medicated mouthwashes suggested by your dentist for everyday use.
- Make a list of foods and snacks to be avoided for the entire treatment phase.
- Avoid biting your nails or chewing pencils when you have your braces.
- Never break the monthly visits to your orthodontist.
- Always mention any discomfort or complaints to your dentist during your visits.
Foods to avoid when you have Braces:
Avoid the following foods when you have braces:
- Chewy foods like gums, soft toffees, chewing gums, etc.
- Sticky foods like caramel or coated popcorns, chocolates, etc.
- Junks foods like packed crackers, chips, etc.
- Avoid cheesy bites and burgers.
- Do not bite on fruits directly like apple, carrots, and any hard foods.
- Avoid hard foods like nuts, meat, and shelly foods.
- Do not chew ice.
How to take Foods when you have Braces?
- Always take food in small bites.
- Consume a completely cooked food and less greasy.
- Prefer having a balanced diet to avoid nutritional imbalance.
- Always have warm foods.
- Include a less chewy diet for example meat and hard veggies can be diced into smaller sizes.
As most of the population undergoing brace treatment belongs to the age of 14 to 18 years, the monitoring of parents is necessary. Therefore, supportive care of the patient is a must for faster and healthy results after the treatment.