It is a condition that happens in an empty socket weeks after the removal of teeth. Usually, after removal of the teeth the empty space filled with blood surrounded by bony walls but in the dry socket the above-mentioned condition does not occur.
HOW WILL BE THE INTENSITY OF PAIN?
Unlike the normal discomfort felt after a day of tooth removal you will experience intense and unbearable pain even after weeks of tooth removal in case of a dry socket.
REASON BEHIND DRY SOCKET:
Not all removal of teeth presents with dry socket. It happens following the dislodgement of the blood clot from the socket. Clearly, exposing the bony walls and delaying the processes of healing.
Following which the bone cells and nerves present in them react with bacteria present in the mouth. Subsequently, causing severe pain in a week or 10 days after the extraction.
CAUSES FOR DRY SOCKET:
- The habit of meddling with the site after tooth removal causing dislodgement of a blood clot.
- Smoking or Alcohol consumption after tooth removal.
- After a difficult removal of wisdom tooth.
- Profuse bleeding after removal.
- Increased irrigation of the socket.
- Poor oral hygiene.
SYMPTOMS FOR DRY SOCKET:
- First and foremost it presents with severe and intense pain.
- Pain in some instances may radiate to the ear.
- The appears with an absolutely dry white bone.
- Bad breath due to the action of bacteria on them.
- Dentist irrigates the socket with antiseptic solutions to remove the debris.
- A medicated dressing is placed in the socket to promote healing.
- In addition to this, dentists prescribe pain killers and antibiotics.
- A review will be planned to assess the recovery and healing of the socket.
- Finally, the dentist prescribes at-home care with special mouthwashes for a speedy recovery.